Congratulations! There is nothing more exciting than preparing to bring a baby into your life and I am so thankful that you have chosen me to be part of that journey and capture your baby’s first photographs! Newborn photography requires a lot of time, work and patience. Having your newborn’s photos taken for the first time can be very exciting AND overwhelming, so I wanted to give you a few tips and tricks that can help to explain what you should expect at your session and to make sure your session goes smoothly and leaves you with photos that you will cherish forever!
To prepare for your newborn session, please consider the following:
– Newborn babies sleep 90% of the day (or hopefully at least the day of your session). While that isn’t always the case, ideally we’d like to capture your baby’s photos while baby is asleep.
– You may not have established a feeding schedule, though it is important to feed as much as your baby will accept for twelve hours before the session. Please feed baby right before coming to the studio. This helps to keep your newborn sleeping deeply during the session.
– Be sure to bathe baby the morning of your session.
– If breastfeeding, mom should avoid spicy food and caffeine for 24 hours before the session, as eating this may upset the baby’s stomach. If your baby is formula fed, please bring extra formula and bottles.
– I have all the props, clothing and equipment at the studio. Dress your baby in loose fitted clothes for easy removal and to avoid lines on the skin. Either a zip up or button up outfit, nothing that has to be removed over the head.
– If the baby uses a pacifier, bring at least two.
– Parent shots are my favorite, capturing the connection between you and your baby is something you will cherish. Please stay away from black, navy and any dark colors. Dark colors look very harsh against newborn skin. Avoid words and symbols on all shirts. Neutrals look the best (creams, tans, white, lighter gray) **If you need any help on outfits, PLEASE do not hesitate to ask me for help!!! I am more than happy to!**
– Please be sure to have hair/makeup done as well as nails manicured.
– Dads: if you prefer not to be shirtless, I ask that you bring a good tight fitting solid t-shirt (white, cream, tan – no words or symbols on shirt, no baggy shirts please) to wear with a good, snug pair of jeans. Preferably short sleeve.
– Moms: Keep your tops simple in design (tank top, t shirt or a tank with a cardigan, lace top), the color neutral (whites, creams, beiges) and design simple. Be sure that you have no nail polish as your hands will make their way into the images. If you have a lighter, neutral color on that is fine, just no bright nail polish as it stands out against baby. No chipped nail polish please. Also, rest assured, I aim to photograph using flattering angles and light to bring out the natural beauty in your family. The images will be taken more from the chest up, so not full body.
– Sister(s): I provide a wrap that will act as the perfect top, or please bring along a snug fitting tank, top or dress in a neutral color. I ask that girls hair be natural (or in braids). A simple headband or neutral colored bow is fine. Just as with mom, no nail polish please.
– Brother(s): A snug pair of jeans and shirtless are preferred, please take a few moments to chat with your guy about this so he feels prepared for the session – though if he prefers not, a tight-fitting white, cream, beige t-shirt is fine. Again, please no loose or baggy shirts. No words either.
**Please make sure to wipe your child’s face and nose and check for any crust/crumbs, dirt etc.**
– If you have other children that you will be including in the session, have dad drive separately. My studio space is small and is shared with another business. I always do sibling and family photos first. That way, dad can take the sibling(s) home and mom stays for the remainder of the session with baby. You are welcome to bring a grandparent, friend, sister, whomever to stay with you for the remainder of the session, but I do ask that any children are taken home immediately after their part of the session is complete.
– Remember to relax! These photos are for you! What is most important is that parents and baby are comfortable. The room will be kept at around 80-90 degrees for baby’s comfort along with a space heather being present; Please dress accordingly.
– Newborn sessions typically last anywhere from 2-4 hours. I provide water, gatorade and small snacks. As well as a refrigerator if needed. Please feel free to bring any of your own snacks/drinks if you would like.
Hopefully this helps and gives you an idea of what to expect at your newborn session. I also just want to remind you that not following this prep guide will lead to a baby that is awake/fussy for their session, which we want to avoid!